The Bible says that when one member of the body suffers, the whole body suffers with it (1 Cor 12:26). Applying this to the family context, we cannot isolate the individual problems from the family since everyone is emotionally and behaviorally intertwined. In view of this connectedness, problematic actions by one party will cause conflicts and dysfunctions in others, hence the need to handle them appropriately.
This 4-week training focuses on family behaviour rather than individual behavior, highlighting patterns in communication and interaction, separateness and connectedness, loyalty and independence, and general adaptation in the context of the family. Understanding these characteristics within the family may explain why members of a family behave the way they do in a given situation and examining them helps to initiate engagement in families in ways that foster optimal family connectedness and regain healthy functioning
Open to parents, church workers and anyone who wish to be equipped to work more effectively with families
- Participants will learn about the concepts of Family Counselling from both a biblical and a psychological perspective, understanding the purpose of genograms, self-differentiation, emotional triangles and cut-off
- Participants will understand how dysfunctional interactional patterns affect family members and being transferred from one generation to the next through the multigenerational transmission process.
- Participants will be given case studies, role plays and other activities to experience and apply the theory and techniques to help individuals effect positive changes in their family system.
Dr Yeo Pei Li is a licensed counsellor with the Malaysia’s Board of Counsellor since 2003. She specializes in career guidance and counselling, trauma work, as well as couple and family therapy. She has also been involving in various educational institutions since 2004 in the capacity of a student counsellor, senior lecturer and trainer. Her doctorate is in counsellor education and supervision from Regent University. She is the Dean of Counselling at Alpha Omega International College, board member of NACC Malaysia and an active member of the Family Life Ministries at FGA KL, her home church.
||3, 10, 17, & 24 March 2018
||9am - 12 noon
||NACC, 2-2B, Block K, Jalan PJU1/3A, Sunway Mas Commercial Centre, 47301, Petaling Jaya.
||RM200 for NACC members, RM400 for non-members
- Crossed cheque in the name of “National Asso of Christian Counsellors” and send by post to the NACC office (address above)
- Online registration: NACC Members | Non-NACC Members
Contact Hours Awarded: 8 hours
This course is part of our 60 hour Certificate in Lay Christian Counselling, an initiative to raise up more lay counsellors for the local church.
Minimum Number: The course will be conducted subject to a minimum number of 20 persons registered for it.